Sunday, July 18, 2010

Bike Trip: Day 3 of 3

Another bright and beautiful day greeted us as we prepared to journey back over the mountains towards Medicine Hat.

By the way, Fernie BC is a quaint little town and looked like a great spot to return to for winter skiing!  Caroline took this picture as Dale and I went into a tunnel craved through the mountain just outside of Fernie.  I was relieved it wasn't too long of a tunnel!

By this time we were on highway 3 and re-entered Alberta via Crossnest Pass.  We were glad we weren't travelling in the wintertime as there were obvious signs of avalanches, rock slides and road closure possibilities.  (I'm there if you look closely to the right of the sign...)

Another one of our stops included the Frank Slide sight.  My greatuncle on my mom's side, John Scott lost his life in that slide and his body never recovered.  It was a sobering yet important stop to me.  There's no way to capture the magnitiude of the slide.  It took three pictures to capture the breadth, and even then, it isn't a complete perspective.  I've included a few pictures below, including this first one from inside the memorial centre.  It is off a mobile with the names of those who lost their lives.  if you look closely at the centre hanging, you'll see "John Scott, Bookkeeper".




When we left the Slide, we found that the highway went right through the fallen rock, removed for the highway and nearby railway.  Quite a ride.  

We continued on to Lethbridge where we grabbed a bit of lunch then booted it on to Medicine Hat!  In total for this 3-day trip, we travelled 1195 kms!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you guys are having a great time. Drive safely!

The Eichhorst Family

Abner's Girl said...

We miss the HeinDowsky's and I propose we get together as soon as possible!!